Saturday, October 1, 2011

Overheard on my lunch break

Originally published on Los Thunderlads, 14 September 2011. Comment there.

This afternoon, I stopped at a theater box office to buy tickets for a show Mrs Acilius and I want to attend later this month. I overheard a snippet of conversation between the box office clerk and the customer ahead of me. I didn’t hear the part leading up to it, so I don’t know what information the clerk was trying to find:

CLERK: Have you bought tickets here before?

CUSTOMER: Yes.

(CLERK types on computer, looks puzzled): Could it be under your spouse’s name?

(CUSTOMER thinks long and hard, then answers in a doubtful tone): I’m not sure… probably not.

CLERK: Do you have a spouse?

CUSTOMER: No.

From the box office, I went to Subway to eat lunch. While I was eating, I overheard another brief cross-counter conversation:

(CUSTOMERS enter.)

SANDWICH ARTIST,* smiling brightly: Welcome to Subway!

CUSTOMER: Hi. You seem happy.

SANDWICH ARTIST, smiling just as brightly as before: It’s fake!

*Hey, that’s their official title.

No comments: